Avoid foods with empty calories to gain weight quickly
Eat foods like milk, yogurt, dates and avocados to put on weight healthily
Supplement your diet with strength training to gain weight quicker
For a lot of people gaining weight is a priority as it affects their appearance. But in a hurry to gain weight, don’t eat just about anything you can lay your hands on. Foods rich in added sugar may seem harmless, but they trigger the production of inflammatory proteins that compromise your immune system and make you susceptible to illnesses. Instead, follow a healthy diet plan for weight gain.
Eat small meals throughout the day, opt for lean proteins, complex carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Additionally, sleep well, as this is when your body builds muscle. Most importantly, put on weight for all the right reasons.
When to Increase your Weight?
A low body weight can result in the following.
- Poor immunity
- Fertility issues
- Premature birth (if you are pregnant and underweight)
- Hair, skin & dental conditions
To avoid these problems, assess whether you’re underweight by seeing if your BMI is lesser than 18.5.
Best Foods to Gain Weight
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes
Sample Weight Gain Diet Chart
|Type of meal
||Foods to gain weight
- 1 bowl Greek/plain yogurt along with 1 banana and 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 glass of milk, 5–10 soaked almonds and 2 bananas
- 4–6 slices of whole wheat bread with 2 eggs
- 2 vegetable stuffed parathas with white butter and 1 bowl of yogurt
- 3 whole eggs, grilled vegetables and a nut and fruit smoothie
|Lunch and dinner
- 2 moong dal chillas stuffed with paneer/cheese
- 2 small bowls of rice, 1 small bowl of egg/paneer curry, 1 small bowl of vegetables and 1 bowl of mixed vegetable salad
- 2 medium-sized pieces of chicken/fish, 2 chapatis with ghee, 1 bowl of dal, 1 small bowl of rice and 1 bowl of vegetable raita
- 2–4 medium-sized pieces of chicken/fish, 1 baked potato, 1 plate of mixed vegetable salad, 2 pieces of whole wheat garlic bread
- 2 small bowls of biryani (egg/chicken), 1 bowl of vegetables, 1 bowl of chicken/vegetable soup and 1 small bowl of sprouts salad
- 1 glass of lassi and 1 plate of fresh fruits
- 1 boiled egg and cheese sandwich with 1 glass of milk
- 1 big bowl of salad with 2 boiled potatoes
- 1 handful of nuts with 2 dates
- 1 bowl of yogurt and 1 bowl of fresh fruits
- 2 dates filled with nut butter/ cream cheese
- 2 pieces of dried fruit or peanut chikki
- 1 bowl of yogurt with dates and nuts
- Plain milk
- Yogurt and milk based smoothies
- Milk with protein powder
- Fruit juices
Additional Read: Guide to create a healthy diet plan
Do note that this is an indicative weight gain diet plan. For best results, consult a nutritionist who will make a tailored diet chart for you in line with your daily activities, metabolism, BMI, dietary preferences and allergies.