Top Myths On Weight Loss
Dr. Sneha Ganatra
July 15, 2020
You might be on your weight loss journey for quite some time now or starting afresh. You might have come across many stories related to weight loss and all you want is quick results with minimum efforts. But might be confused about what to believe and what not to. You might have searched the net thoroughly but ending up with getting even more fluttered not knowing what exactly to do. After all, weight loss is about making smart choices and requires lots of patience.
Going on the wrong track can demotivate you and leave you disheartened. This article shall provide you with information about myths around weight loss so that you can set the right goals for you and choose what suits you the best.
- Lose weight effectively without exercising if you’re eating right: A balance of eating right and correct exercise regime is required to keep off the weight lost. Only dieting may help you lose weight, but it may not be long term. Also, exercise shall help you tone the muscles and boost your metabolism.
- You need to avoid carbs to lose weight: A properly balanced diet needs to have carbs in it. Whole foods that are high in carbs are very healthy. On the other hand, refined carbs like refined grains and sugar are linked to weight gain. Low carb and high protein diet are associated with weight loss, but carbs on its own are not the reason for obesity. Choosing healthy options and the right proportions is the key.
- Skipping meals is a good way to lose weight: Losing weight with healthier methods should be the goal. Shedding few kilograms by skipping meals at the cost of essential nutrients will lead to other complications in the long run. An effective diet should be the one which can be carried out for years and not just a couple of months.
- A gluten-free diet is a healthier option for weight loss: You should opt for a gluten-free diet only if suffering from celiac disease or sensitivity to gluten. Else, a gluten-free diet is not intended to help you lose weight.
- Avoid all types of fats to lose weight: Incorporating healthy fats in the right proportions is your diet is a healthy choice as fats provide essential nutrients. Although they are higher in calories than proteins and carbohydrates, one should limit but not avoid them completely. High-calorie junk foods and unhealthy snacks loaded with fats shall make you gain weight, but healthy fats such as avocados, olives, nuts, low-fat dairy are good substitutes.
- Weight loss should be a linear process: It may not always be true. You might lose some weight linearly in the beginning, but there can be phases of fluctuations. Various factors decide weight in the body. For example, water weight fluctuates significantly during the menstrual cycle in women. Hence it is better to focus on long term goals than on short term goals.
- Weight loss pills are safe and effective: Not all supplements are effective or safe. And the best ones help you lose a bit of weight in the long run. For some people, the pills might work due to the placebo effect.
- Drinking water helps you lose weight: Water is essential for health. It keeps you hydrated and helps you snack less. Water in itself doesn’t cause weight loss.
- Intermittent snacking is always bad: Having healthy snacks in between the meals can help you eat less and stave off the urge to overeat or binge later. Dieticians advise having 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of having 3 big meals. Regular smaller meals help to boost metabolism and improve digestion. Although the choice of snacks must be healthy and nutritious.
- Baked foods or ‘low fat’ labelled foods are always healthy: Beware of such marketing gimmick. Baked foods might have more fats added in them during the process. Many ‘low fat’ foods are junk foods in disguise. Some low-fat foods may also contain high levels of sugar.
You might have done all the things right to lose weight, be it regularly exercising or eating healthy and following a proper diet. Yet, the outcome may not have been satisfactory in comparison to someone else in your group. That’s because everybody is different. There are many factors such as genetic and environmental that play an important role in weight loss. It is important to remain positive and be persistent on the right track for sure shot results.