Ayushman Bharat Scheme: 6 Important Things to Know about This Government Scheme
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana scheme was launched on 23 September, 2018
- To avail Ayushman Bharat Yojana, apply online on the government website
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana eligibility differs for people in rural and urban areas
Investing in a health insurance plan is one of the cost-effective ways to secure your well-being. Before choosing the right health insurance policy, you should know about the types of health insurance plans you can get. Be it a family floater or individual plan from Bajaj Health Insurance or Max Bupa, these should meet your requirements.
To provide health coverage to everyone, the Prime Minister launched a flagship scheme called Ayushman bharat yojana. The main motive was to ensure equal access to health insurance. Read on to know more about this unique scheme initiated by the Government of India.Additional read: PMJAY and ABHA
What is the Ayushman Bharat Scheme All About?
This scheme was launched to provide healthcare facilities to those in the low-income category. It was rolled out on 23 September, 2018 as Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana and provided the underprivileged with access to cashless hospitalization benefits.
Beneficiaries get a health card through which you can avail services from network hospitals in India. All you need to do show is your e-card and claim cashless treatment. Some of the beneficial features of the scheme include:
- Coverage of 3 to 15 days for pre and post-hospitalization expenses
- Maximum coverage of Rs.5 lakh
This scheme’s goal is to cover around 10.74 crore families who fall under the low-income group . One of the best features of the Ayushman Bharat Health Account is that there are no restrictions on:
- Number of members in the family
Another unique feature is that you can cover all your pre-existing diseases right from the first day, without any waiting period.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for This Scheme?
Ayushman Bharat Yojana eligibility differs based on whether you live in a rural or urban area. Listed below are the criteria for individuals living in rural India.
- Individuals belonging to SC or ST households
- Families with a disabled member or no able-bodied adult individual
- Families with no adult members between ages 16 and 59 years
- Families without an adult male member within the age group 16-59 years
- Individuals that are living in a kuccha house having only one room
- Individuals that do not own land and are earning money by doing manual labor
Apart from these, in the rural areas, the scheme automatically includes the following.
- Households earning from manual scavenging
- Legally released bonded labors
- Families without shelter
- Destitute individuals
- Primitive tribal groups
For individuals residing in urban areas, the scheme can be availed if you fall in the following categories.
- Construction worker / mason / plumber / painter / labor / security guard / welder
- Transport worker / rickshaw puller / cart puller
- Home-based worker / handicrafts worker / artisan / tailor
- Domestic worker
- Sweeper / mali / sanitation worker
- Waiter / shop worker / peon in a small organization / delivery assistant / helper / attendant
- Street vendor / hawker / cobbler / any other service provider on street
- Chowkidar / washerman
- Mechanic / repair worker / assembler / electrician
How Is the Ayushman Bharat Scheme Beneficial?
There are umpteen benefits of this scheme and these cater to the healthcare requirements of those in need . These benefits are as follows:
- Provides both secondary and tertiary healthcare facilities, which include treatment by specialists like cardiologists and advanced treatment options like cardiac surgery
- Covers all pre-existing illnesses unlike regular health insurance plans
- Prioritizes women, girl children and senior citizens
- Chooses beneficiaries on the basis of SECC database
- Provides cashless healthcare coverage with minimal documentation
- Offers free healthcare facilities across India
How Can You Apply for This Scheme Online?
If you want to avail Ayushman Bharat Yojana, apply online by visiting the official government website. Once you log on, follow these steps:
- medium;">Check your eligibility and then enter your mobile number.
- medium;">Wait for an OTP, enter the required details and apply.
- Wait until your Ayushman bharat registration is accepted
- Apply for your Ayushman Bharat Yojana Card.
Do note that this card is important since it contains a unique family identification number specific to each family. To ensure a smooth experience, here are a few important documents that you need to submit.
- Your contact details
- Proof of age and identity
- Proof of income
- Document proof to verify family status
- Caste certificate (if required)
Investing in Ayushman Bharat Yojana is very beneficial, thanks to its numerous features. The best part of this scheme is that it offers coverage against COVID-19 as well. With this scheme, you can cover all your isolation and quarantine expenses. This policy has been designed for low-income people to get access to medical care easily. If you do not belong to this group, invest in the Aarogya Care health insurance plans from Bajaj Finserv Health.
With a wide range of benefits like online doctor consultation and preventive health check-ups, these plans are available at nominal rates. Choose the most suitable plan and cover your health expenses affordably.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app