Time to Talk Day: Everything You Must Know About Mental Illness!
- The prevalence of mental illness in India is around 7.5 percent
- Extreme sadness and tiredness are mental illness symptoms
- The Time to Talk Day was started in 2014 to create awareness
Mental health comprises behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and social well-being. It includes how a person feels, thinks, and behaves . Unfortunately, around 7.5 percent of the Indian population suffers from mental illness including seasonal depressions and other conditions . This ratio is said to increase over time. Mental health still largely has stigmas and fears attached to it.
The misconceptions surrounding mental illness can only be neutralized by creating awareness about mental health issues. For this reason, the world observes time to talk day. Global mental health associations come together on this day to talk about mental health problems at large. Read on to know more about mental illness and a few Time to Talk day ideas.
Mental Illness Symptoms
Below are some common mental illness symptoms:
- Sadness or feeling low
- Inability to concentrate
- Feelings of guilt
- Excessive fear or worry
- Extreme mood changes
- Social withdrawal
- Sleeping difficulty
- Delusions and hallucinations
- Unable to cope with stress and daily routine
- Trouble understanding others
- Alcohol or drug use
- Change in eating habits
- Anger or violence
- Change in sex drive
- Suicidal thoughts
- Loss of interest in things you liked
- Extreme emotions
- Physical illnesses
- Unhygienic habits
How to Manage Anxiety?
While there are different ways to deal with anxiety, there are minor changes that have a universal effect. As such, learning how to manage anxiety can be personal, but the following practices can help.
- Follow a healthy and well-balanced diet
- Limit consumption of caffeine and alcohol
- Have a positive attitude
- Practice deep meditation
- Get enough sleep and rest
- Stay physically active or exercise regularly
- Practice yoga and learn relaxation techniques
- Manage your stress level
- Laugh often and embrace humor
- Identify the stressors and be mindful of them
- Seek help from a professional
What are the Common Mental Illnesses?
Mental illness comes in many forms and here are the common disorders to be aware of.
- Anxiety disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Dissociative disorder
- Mood disorder
- Eating disorders
- Persistent or seasonal depressions
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Psychotic disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
What is the Time to Talk Day?
Time to Talk Day is observed on 6th February . It focuses on mental health and the importance of reaching out to those suffering from mental illness. The day focuses on helping people to be honest about mental health. It aims to minimize the fear and stigma surrounding mental health. Speaking up about problems and struggles increases the chances of getting help in healing through them. The Time To Talk Day is an initiative that enables you to be a part of a positive movement without fear of discrimination.
What is the History and Significance of Talk Day?
The perception about mental health needs to change as it isn’t treated as seriously as physical health problems. Mental illness was often misdiagnosed in the past, especially among women. In the 1930s, the need for mental health started advancing. Fortunately, more people are speaking openly about mental illness in the present day. There is vast knowledge about the causes and the treatment for mental issues.
There still remain certain misconceptions when it comes to mental health. For this reason, Time to Talk Day was first observed in 2014. It promotes conversation about mental health with an aim to reduce stigmas and discrimination. You can participate in this initiative by raising awareness and helping those suffering from mental health problems. Here are some advantages of Time to Talk Day.
- Provides an opportunity: The Talk Day gives you a chance to talk about mental health and help those who are suffering from such mental illness more freely. You can create awareness against the misconceptions of mental illness.
- Allows you to take a positive step: The Time to Talk Day provides you with an opportunity to encourage positive conversations about mental health. This will eventually help eliminate the stigmas around mental health.
- A reminder to self: If you are facing mental health issues, then remember that you are not alone. Many people feel isolated and cannot express themselves freely. The Talk Day will help people express themselves and seek professional help.
This time to talk day, take every step to raise awareness on mental illness and work on time to talk day ideas. If you experience any mental illness symptoms, take the first step by consulting with your physician. You can even book an online doctor consultation on Bajaj Finserv Health and speak with the best mental health professionals. This way, you can take care of your mental and emotional health.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app