World Health Day is celebrated on April 7 every year by WHO
World Health Day is observed every year to emphasize global health
The theme of World Health Day 2022 is our planet, our health
World Health Day is celebrated on 7th day of April every year, as an occasion to mark the establishment of the World Health Organization (WHO) on April 7, 1948. It is also observed to emphasize the subject of global health. Every year WHO organizes events around a particular theme related to health. The events take place at local, national, international levels and receive media coverage. The media coverage helps spread information and awareness about the particular year’s theme. To know about the theme of World Health Day 2022 and interesting facts about World Health Day, read on.
Additional Read: World Water Day 2022
Theme of World Health Day 2022
On this World Health Day, WHO decided to focus on urgent actions required to keep the earth and human beings healthy. The theme of World Health Day 2022 is our planet, our health. The aim is also to foster a movement to create societies focused on the overall well-being. WHO has estimated that every year, more than 13 million global deaths are due to avoidable and somewhat controllable environmental problems. This also includes the climate crisis which is humanity’s biggest threat.
WHO decided on this year’s theme due to various reasons such as :
- 90% people now breathe unhealthy air due to pollution (burning of fossil fuels)
- Mosquitoes are now spreading diseases faster and farther due to rise in temperatures
- Extreme weather conditions, water scarcity and land degradation are displacing people and affecting their health
- Plastic and other kinds of pollutants found at the bottom of the deepest oceans and highest mountains, make way into our food chain
- Highly processed foods, unhealthy beverages and foods are driving a wave of obesity. This in turn affects the health and causes heart conditions, stomach problems and more diseases.
World Health day previous years themes
The COVID pandemic showed us the healing power of science and how fast the earth can heal itself, but it also highlighted the inequities in our social structure. The pandemic has highlighted the urgency of creating sustainable societies committed to good health. Read on to find out 9 amusing facts about World Health Day.
Additional Read: Measles Immunization Day
Interesting facts about World Health Day
- World Health Day is just one of the eleven official health campaigns founded by the World Health Organization.
- Other than Health Day, WHO also observes Immunization Week, Tuberculosis Day, Blood Donor Day, Malaria Day, No Tobacco Day, AIDS Day, Chagas Disease Day, Antimicrobial Awareness Week, Hepatitis Day and Patient Safety Day.
- World Health Day was announced at the First Health Assembly in 1948, and it took effect from 1950. This celebration is aimed at creating awareness on a large scale regarding specific health themes. It helps highlight a priority area of current concern for the World Health Organization . World Health Day has been celebrated every year from 1950 onwards.
World Health Day 2022 celebration ideas
- The headquarters of the World Health Organizations is in Switzerland. Members of United Nations founded the organization and then decided to commemorate a day to celebrate global health.
- The theme for 2015 World Health Day celebration was food safety. As about 2 million people die every year because of unsafe water and food, this theme was important to spread awareness.
- Events held on World Health Day include demonstrations, public marches, easy or free access to conferences, medical tests, briefings for head of states, displays for children and adults, and more.
- World Health Day promotes and is influenced by safe drinking water. WHO has many programs that help improve overall world health by providing safe and sanitized drinking water to areas that need it.
- The World Health Day theme in 2020 was supporting midwives and nurses as they are present in a large proportion, out of the 70% women that make up the healthcare workforce. Midwives and nurses play a key role in aftercare, including at the times of outbreaks and in settings that are in conflict or fragile.
- World Health Day also promotes raising awareness on various health factors. Here are a few of them.
- More than half of the children’s death under the age of five can be prevented with the right measures.
- Multiple countries are facing an outbreak of measles.
- Neglected tropical diseases affect up to 1.5 billion people covering the world’s poorest population.
This World Health Day, focus on keeping yourself safe from climate changes and staying healthy. For more interesting facts or information on any health-related matters, you can consult a doctor online via Bajaj Finserv Health and get timely advice. You can avail more knowledge and expert guidance to your medical concerns and get peace of mind. Start saying yes to health without any second thoughts.