Baddha Konasana and Supta Baddha Konasana: Benefits and Steps To Do
- Baddha konasana is good for blood circulation and relaxation
- Combine Supta baddha konasana with yoga breathing techniques
- Supta baddha konasana is one of the best asanas for PCOS!
Baddha konasana, also known as bound angle or cobra pose, is a fairly easy technique that can help you relax. The word ‘baddha’ in Sanskrit means bound. The meaning of ‘Kona’ is split or angle. Supta Baddha Konasana, on the other hand, offers relaxation benefits for your body. This pose is also known as the reclined goddess pose. You can use either or both of them to relax and improve your overall health.
Baddha konasana stretches your inner thighs and groin. It also improves your overall flexibility. On the other hand, doing supta baddha konasana benefits you by restoring your sleeping pattern and eliminating insomnia. This makes supta baddha konasana a restorative yoga pose for body correction. Regularly practicing this yoga pose has a calming effect which results in a relaxed state of mind.
The bound angle pose opens and increases circulation to the pelvic girdle region. Thus, it makes for great prenatal exercise and can also help relieve menstrual cramps. Moving your body from side to side while you are in this pose can massage your hip area. Read on to understand various baddha konasana benefits and supta baddha konasana benefits.Additional read: Yoga Breathing Techniques
Steps To Do Baddha Konasana
- Begin by stretching your legs while sitting on a mat
- Place yourself on your sitz bones
- Bend the knees opening up on each side
- Put the soles of your feet in the way that they face each other
- Hold the soles with both hands and stretch them outwards
- Clasp your ankles to help lift your upper body
- Release your feet gently and stretch them forward
Note: You can also use a wall to support your back while performing baddha konasana.
Baddha Konasana Benefits
- Eases symptoms of menopause
- Soothes menstrual discomfort and digestive complaints
- Lengthens your inner thighs and groin
- Stimulates and nourishes the internal organs, increasing your blood flow
- Improves the quality of blood circulation within the body
- Relaxes your body and calms your mind
- It May help your body function better
Steps To Do Supta Baddha Konasana
- Lie down with your back touching the yoga mat
- Straighten your spine and stay relaxed
- Ensure that your shoulders are touching the mat
- Once you are completely relaxed, open your knees and bring your soles together
- Ensure that your feet do not lift from the mat during the process
- This will resemble the baddha konasana pose where instead of sitting, you are lying on your back
- Bring your heels towards the pelvic region till the point that it does not cause discomfort
- Keep your hands lying next to your hips with palms facing down, and exhale slowly
- Contract your abdominal or stomach muscles while doing the above step
- Muscle contraction will help your tailbone move closer to the pubic bone
- Ensure that the stretch does not strain your lower back and cause any pain
- Keep the pace of this pose slow to avoid sprains caused by quick movements
- A slow pace can also help keep your spine and pelvis stable
- Inhale faster and exhale slowly to let your knees open up letting your knees open
- This will help stretch your inner thighs and pelvis
- Do not over arch your lower back, and keep your shoulders relaxed
- Hold this pose for around half a minute, and breath slowly and softly while returning to the original pose
Supta Baddha Konasana Benefits
- Activates the ovaries and benefits your kidneys, urinary bladder, and prostate gland
- Helps treat PCOS naturally and is considered one of the best asanas for PCOS 
- Improves blood circulation and stimulates your heart
- Helps you sleep better and even treats insomnia
- Gets rid of headaches
- Relieves tense muscles
- Improves flexibility in the groin region and inner thighs 
- Helps reduce mild depression, tension, or anxieties
Now that you are aware of baddha konasana and supta baddha konasna benefits for health, you can try these poses at home. Be sure to avoid them if you have an injury in your knees, hips, or groin. Take guidance from experts before trying any other poses for better results. Learn yoga breathing techniques that you can practice with these yoga poses to boost your fitness and mental wellness. Take online doctors appointments on Bajaj Finserv Health to understand more about yoga poses and baddha konasana benefits, and start your journey towards better health today!
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app