The Best Piles Treatment and Medicine by Dr. Bikas Majumdar
Piles, clinically known as haemorrhoids, can be difficult to bear. Haemorrhoids can be of different types – internal, external and thrombosed. In this blog, Dr. Bikas Majumdar, a renowned Ayurvedic specialist, talks about effective piles treatment and medicines.
- Severe constipation can be one of the most prominent causes of piles
- Bleeding in stools is a major symptom of piles
- Kshara is a herbal alkaline paste which can be applied to haemorrhoids for treatment
Are you worried about piles treatment? Piles, also known as haemorrhoids, are a very common ailment in India. It is projected that almost 50% of the population could suffer from piles by the time they are 50 years old. 
Before understanding piles treatment, one must know what piles are and what causes them. People often search for local cures and lookup queries like ‘Piles Cure in 3 Days.’ However, it is not that simple. We interviewed Dr. Bikas Majumdar, a renowned Ayurvedic Specialist and Founder of Shanti Clinic, Wagholi, Pune, to receive more clarity on piles treatment, medicine and symptoms.
What are Piles?Piles (haemorrhoids) are lumps that form inside or around your anus. Most of the time, piles are not critical and often get better on their own. Dr. Majumdar says, “Piles or haemorrhoids are becoming increasingly common due to the current sedentary lifestyles of people. However, most people who have piles shy away from telling people due to the fear of getting laughed at.”
An additional roadblock in getting piles treatment is that people are often unaware of which doctor to consult for receiving piles treatment and piles medicine.
According to Dr. Majumdar, piles or haemorrhoids in people can vary in size and location. Piles are caused due to the swollen veins in the rectum. Having piles can cause tissue growths inside or around the anus, which can cause great discomfort and hinder you from going about your day-to-day routine.
What Causes Piles?
We asked Dr. Majumdar how a person can identify if they have piles. He said, “One of the leading causes of piles is constipation. If a person is experiencing painful bowel movements, blood in stools or a swollen rectum after passing hard stools, they must immediately consult a doctor to check for piles or to receive piles treatment.”
There are a number of symptoms a person must look out for to know if they have piles.
Different kinds of signs and symptoms that a person suffering from piles might depend on the type of haemorrhoid. Thus, before searching for haemorrhoids treatment, understand the symptoms mentioned below:
These haemorrhoids develop under the skin around your anus. Their symptoms typically include:
- Swelling around your anus
- Itching or irritating around the anal region
For this kind of haemorrhoid, piles treatment is rarely needed. They develop inside the rectum and don’t cause significant discomfort. However, it causes strain and irritation during your bowel moments, and it can result in the following:
- Painless bleeding during your bowel movements
- Bright red blood stains in your toiler or your tissue
- A protruding haemorrhoid
A thrombosed haemorrhoid might need a proper course of piles treatment. It happens when a blood clot (thrombose) develops around an external haemorrhoid. Its symptoms typically include:
- Severe pain
- Hard lumps around your anus
Now that you know the various symptoms and causes of piles, you know when to seek piles treatment.
Ayurveda for Piles
You can take different routes for piles treatment. One natural way to treat your piles would be Ayurvedic medicines and remedies. According to Dr. Majumdar, “Many people don’t really understand the true potential of Ayurvedic treatment or the kind of techniques involved in Ayurveda. These treatments consist of much more than the use of herbs, massage, natural oils and Panchakarma.”
Ayurveda goes beyond treatment and medicines. Dr. Majumdar added, “Ayurveda is a way of life and focuses on preventive measures to ensure a disease-free life. If you want to prevent piles from happening, you must make these changes to your lifestyle:
- Consume a high-fibre diet
- Ensure eating meals on time
- Prepare a balanced diet for all meals
- Use Triphala powder daily
- Drink Amla juice
- Increase warm water intake
- Take Isabgol
To cure constipation through Ayurveda, you can drink Amla juice and take Triphala powder.”
In addition, if you are suffering from piles, various Ayurvedic piles treatment can consist of the following:
- Bhaisajya Chikitsa: Minor haemorrhoids go away on their own or can be treated through different medicines. However, Bhaisajya Chikitsa in Ayurveda usually focuses on recommending medications based on Doshas and focuses more on the time of drug administration.
- Kshara: Kshara is a caustic and alkaline paste which can be applied to cure haemorrhoids. It is applied to haemorrhoids using a specialised device and has a cauterising effect. It is among the best piles treatment.
- Sastra Chikitsa: This piles treatment involves kshara sutra in which a special medical thread is tied to a haemorrhoid at the base. It usually cuts off the blood supply to the vein and shrinks the haemorrhoid in a span of 7-10 days.
- Agnikarma: This haemorrhoid treatment is effective in the case of external haemorrhoids. A licensed practitioner will burn off your external haemorrhoid. This kind of treatment is only performed when other treatments fail and may cause some pain.
Things to Avoid If you Have Piles
Dr. Majumdar recommends a list of certain don’ts that patients with piles must adhere to. They are as follows:
- Use soft toilet tissues to wipe your bottom
- Don’t wipe too hard after pooping
- Never ignore the urge to pass stools
- Avoid painkillers like codeine because they cause constipation
- Don’t take ibuprofen if your haemorrhoids are bleeding
- Don’t spend a lot of time on the toilet
- Avoid applying a lot of strength to push hard stools
A study was conducted on 30 people suffering from haemorrhoids to prove the efficacy of Ayurvedic piles treatment. The results showcased that the application of the herbal paste, kshara, caused the piles to shrink in size. In addition, there were no side effects during the course of treatment. This treatment could prove to be a potential cure for first and second-degree haemorrhoids. 
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, you must consult a doctor near you or book an online consultation through the Bajaj Finserv Health app. In addition, you can explore more Ayurvedic treatments and remedies on Bajaj Finserv Health.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app