Sensitive Teeth: Home Remedies, Causes, Treatment
Sensitive teeth are the reason for pain when you eat or drink cold or hot food. Adopting home remedies for sensitive teeth issues like applying fluoride gel can be a sensitive teeth cure you can try.
- Damage of your tooth enamel results in sensitive teeth problems
- There are umpteen home remedies for sensitive teeth for you to try
- Using a fluoride toothpaste is an effective sensitive teeth cure option
When you try to bite into or chew something very cold or hot, have you felt any discomfort in your teeth? If so, this is a classic sign of sensitive teeth. While you may feel pain if there is a cavity in your teeth, it can be a cause of sensitivity too. You may have sensitive teeth if there is a crack in your teeth or any infection in your gums. Be it a cracked tooth or periodontal disease such as periodontitis, one of the most common symptoms is sensitivity. You can follow various home remedies for sensitive teeth by which you can minimize your pain.
Proper tooth sensitivity treatment can reduce your sensitivity and prevent any tooth infections. If you have sensitive teeth, you can cure the condition by following simple remedies as prescribed by your dentist. When your tooth is unable to bear certain stimuli, it gives a response in the form of discomfort or pain. This is called teeth sensitivity. While this process may affect only one tooth, you may face sensitivity issues in other teeth as well. Make sure to visit a dentist and follow a suitable tooth sensitivity treatment plan for reducing your tooth pain.
You get sensitive teeth when the porous tissue present in your teeth gets exposed. This tissue, called the dentin, contains tubules that connect to your nerve cells. When these tubules expose themselves either due to loss of enamel or receding gums, there is a trigger in nerve cells due to certain stimuli, thereby resulting in sensitive teeth.
You'll be surprised to learn that approximately 57% of adults between the age groups of 20 and 50 years have sensitive teeth problems across the globe. In a dental survey conducted in India, it was revealed that the prevalence of sensitive teeth was approximately 20.6% in our country . Another survey confirms that one out every 3 Indians suffers from teeth sensitivity issues. While this is common among individuals between 20 and 40 years of age, women are more prone to having sensitive teeth than men .
For a better insight on sensitive teeth causes, symptoms, and sensitive teeth cures, read on.Additional read: How are Probiotics Beneficial for Your Health?
Sensitive Teeth Causes
If you have sensitivity, normal activities like eating, brushing, and drinking can aggravate your pain. If your teeth enamel is thin naturally, you may be prone to sensitive teeth. However, the following activities can damage your enamel and increase your teeth sensitivity.
- If you eat more acidic foods
- If you drink beverages with a high acid content
- If you brush your teeth in a hard or forceful manner
- If you brush your teeth using a brush that contains hard bristles
- If you grind your teeth continually during sleep
- If you are prone to acid reflux
- If you have receding gums
- If there is a decay in your teeth
- If there is a chipped or broken tooth
When you undergo any dental procedures like crown placements, bleaching, or teeth filling, you may experience sensitivity issues. However, all these problems will become minimal after a few days.
Sensitive Teeth Symptoms
While the intensity of sensitivity teeth symptoms may not be the same for everyone, take note of the following signs and visit a dentist for sensitive teeth cure.
- When biting or chewing food becomes difficult
- If you are experiencing sensitivity either in one tooth or many teeth
- When rinsing with a mouthwash containing alcohol content increases your pain
- When you feel pain when breathing in cold air through the mouth
- When you feel increasing pain that occurs spontaneously in your sensitive teeth
- When there is staining visible on your teeth' surface
Additional read: Health Benefits of Cloves
Sensitive Teeth Treatment
If you are experiencing sensitive teeth symptoms, it is advisable to opt for tooth sensitivity treatment. This way, you can prevent your teeth' enamel from getting eroded. Here are a few sensitive teeth remedies you can adopt to get rid of your sensitivity issues.
- Wear a mouthguard during the night if you tend to grind your teeth constantly. Consistent teeth grinding can result in broken or sensitive teeth. Get a mouthguard after a consultation with your dentist.
- Strengthen the enamel of your teeth by applying fluoride gel over the teeth' surface. This helps minimize your discomfort due to sensitive teeth.
- Use desensitizing toothpaste to avoid exposure to dentin tissue. In case of mild pain due to sensitive teeth, brushing with desensitizing toothpaste helps a lot.
- Get rid of sensitive teeth issues by undergoing a root canal treatment. This procedure helps in cleaning and disinfecting the sensitive teeth areas, followed by sealing them tightly with a filling.
While these sensitive teeth remedies can ease your discomfort, any medical condition resulting in sensitive teeth needs to be addressed first. For acid reflux, you need to take proper medications as per a doctor's advice. If you have receding gums, following proper oral hygiene measures helps.
Follow these simple home remedies for sensitive teeth.
- Use a brush with soft bristles and brush your teeth twice daily
- Floss your teeth regularly to prevent the decay of the enamel
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste for healthy gums and teeth
- Prevent sensitive teeth issues by limiting the intake of acidic drinks and foods
- Avoid drinking any acidic beverage directly, and make sure to use a straw
If there is no decrease in pain in sensitive teeth despite following these sensitive teeth remedies, do visit a dentist for a proper dental examination.
Now that you are aware of sensitive teeth causes and sensitive teeth cure options, make sure to follow the sensitive tooth treatment plan as prescribed by your dentist. Remember, your teeth play a vital role in maintaining a healthy body. If you want to know more sensitive teeth remedies, you can connect to top dentists on Bajaj Finserv Health. Book an online doctor consultation and address your sensitive teeth problems immediately. Follow home remedies for sensitive teeth and maintain good oral hygiene!
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.