6 Top Brahmi Benefits For Good Physical and Mental Health
- Make a paste of brahmi leaf and apply on your scalp for long hair
- Take brahmi with ashwagandha and boost your brain function
- Brahmi vati is an ayurvedic formulation available in the market
Brahmi, also known as Bacopa monnieri, is an herb that is a staple in ayurvedic formulations. Since it helps reduce anxiety and sharpen your memory, the brahmi herb is a favorite among ayurvedic practitioners.
The brahmi leaf is bright green in color and oval in shape. This herb grows in marshy and damp areas. Brahmi is packed with antioxidants that protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. Since it reduces oxidative stress, you can stay safe from ailments like:
- Respiratory problems
- Heart diseases
Benefits of Brahmi
Brahmi is available in the market under different brand names. Brahmi Vati is one such formulation that is regarded as an effective brain booster. There are numerous benefits of Brahmi for your health. Read on to know the herb helps you to stay happy and healthy!
1. Reduces stress and anxiety
Too much tension or fear can affect your mental and physical health. If not taken care of, it can lead to anxiety issues like obsessive-compulsive order or panic disorder. In such situations, having brahmi syrup can help you stem anxiety and related disorders. This herb is an adaptogen and improves your body’s resistance to stress. It works by elevating your mood and reducing the cortisol hormone, which is known to increase stress. That is why ayurveda recommends brahmi as a nerve tonic for promoting good mental health.
2. Improves your brain functions
Brahmi contains certain biochemicals that facilitates the building of brain tissues. As a result, your memory skills sharpen . This herb works on that part of your brain which is responsible for intelligence and concentration. Taking it along with ashwagandha helps improve your intellect and memory. Like brahmi, ashwagandha too is an adaptogen that reduces your stress and revitalizes your brain cells.
3. Restores good sleeping habits
Proper sleep is vital for your rejuvenation and relaxation. Stress and irregular eating patterns can often disturb your sleep, and result in sleep disorders like insomnia. Consuming brahmi before going to bed can give you a good night’s rest and ample energy for the following day.Additional Read: Tips for Good Sleep
4. Decreases blood pressure
If you consume junk foods and take on too much stress, there are chances for your blood pressure to increase. You can keep your blood pressure in control with brahmi . If you do not monitor high blood pressure, you may be at an increased risk for health ailments such as stroke, heart failure and heart diseases.
5. Reduces inflammation in your body
You can define inflammation as your body’s natural reaction to fight and heal infections. If you have chronic inflammation, you may develop conditions like type 1 and type 2 diabetes, kidney diseases or even cancer. This herb contains anti-inflammatory properties that help lower inflammation. The presence of antioxidants in brahmi prevents cell damage by destroying harmful free radicals.
6. Promotes hair growth
Having long and lustrous hair is a dream for many. At the same time, it is important to take proper care if you want your hair to be healthy and beautiful. Most hair oils contain brahmi as an ingredient as it helps strengthen and nourish your hair roots. This herb is also effective in preventing dandruff. It works by accelerating the growth of hair follicles thereby helping in reversing hair loss issues. Consuming it can stimulate blood circulation in your scalp which promotes hair regrowth. You may also apply brahmi paste on your scalp to nourish your hair.Additional Read: Hair Growth Tips
7. Excellent for your skin
Brahmi is a highly regarded herb that is known for its numerous benefits for the skin. It contains antioxidants and anti-ageing properties that can help promote cell regeneration and collagen production, leading to a youthful appearance. In both Ayurvedic and pharmaceutical formulations, Brahmi is often used to lighten skin pigmentation and stretch marks, particularly after pregnancy or significant weight loss. Additionally, it's anti-inflammatory properties make it an effective treatment for those with acne or skin allergies. If you are looking for a natural ingredient to incorporate into your skincare routine, consider trying Brahmi for its various skin-loving benefits.
8. Treating ADHD symptoms
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurological disorder that is characterized by hyperactivity and difficulty with paying attention. Children and teenagers with ADHD may exhibit impulsive behaviours and restlessness, which can be challenging for parents and may affect their relationship with their children. One natural way to manage the symptoms of ADHD is by Brahmi, a herb that has a calming effect on the brain. Brahmi has been shown to help reduce hyperactivity and enable children to focus their energies on productive and meaningful activities. It is a safer way to help manage the symptoms of ADHD, particularly for those who are looking for alternative treatment options. Suppose you are a parent of a child with ADHD and are interested in trying Brahmi to manage their symptoms. In that case, it is important to consult a doctor to determine the appropriate dosage.
9. Strong Antioxidant Capabilities
Brahmi is a powerful antioxidant that can help safeguard the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals and toxins. Antioxidants eliminate free radicals released during the body's internal processes, such as digestion. By neutralizing these harmful substances, antioxidants can help prevent various illnesses and promote overall wellness. In addition, Brahmi has been shown to stimulate antioxidant activity in the kidneys, which can help improve renal function and effectively eliminate toxins from the body. If you want to boost your body's antioxidant defences and improve overall health, consider adding Brahmi to your wellness routine.
10. Enhances liver performance
According to Ayurveda, the liver is a vital organ that helps mobilize toxins out of the body and is responsible for managing pitta energies. Brahmi has been shown to support natural detoxification and improve liver function. In today's world, where food adulteration is common, we must be mindful of the chemicals we put into our bodies and their potential for temporary discomfort or chronic side effects. Brahmi is a herbal supplement that promotes liver function naturally without disrupting the balance of your doshas or principal energies.
11. Enhances respiratory health
Traditionally Brahmi has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma. Some studies have found that Brahmi may have anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties, which may help improve respiratory function.
12. Reduces symptoms of menopause
Menopause occurs in women as they age, and a decline in oestrogen production marks it. This can cause a variety of symptoms, such as night sweats, hot flashes, and mood swings. Some research suggests that Brahmi may have a hormone-balancing effect and may be able to help reduce these symptoms. 
13. Helps manage epilepsy
It is also used as a treatment for epilepsy and seizures. It increases the levels of GABA (a neurotransmitter) that helps regulate brain activity. Some studies have found that Brahmi may be effective in declining the frequency and severity of seizures.
14. Improves cardiovascular health
Some research suggests that Brahmi may have a positive impact on cardiovascular health. One study found that Brahmi extract was able to reduce blood pressure and improve blood flow in animals with high blood pressure. Other studies have found that Brahmi may have cholesterol-lowering effects and may be able to reduce the risk of heart disease. 
How to Use Brahmi for Effective Results
The recommended daily dose of Brahmi is 5-10 grams in powder form or 30 ml in juice form. However, knowing the optimal dosage may vary depending on your age, health status, and the reason for taking Brahmi. For example, suppose you have an underlying health disorder or a concerning medical history; it is imperative to consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner to determine the correct dosage and duration for your specific needs.
Brahmi can be consumed orally or applied topically for various skin and hair benefits. Some popular ways to use Brahmi include adding it to your diet as a supplement or incorporating it into your skincare routine as oil or paste. Let's have a look at a few common methods to use Brahmi to get the best outcomes:
- Brahmi Oil: Besides its potential benefits for joint health, it has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to improve the health and appearance of the skin and hair. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may help protect against oxidative damage and reduce inflammation. Some people use Brahmi oil as a natural remedy for various skin conditions, such as acne, eczema, and dermatitis. It is also thought to stimulate hair growth and improve the scalp's overall health. To use Brahmi oil, massage it into the affected area or apply it to the scalp and leave it on for some time before washing it off.
- Brahmi Paste: Like Brahmi oil, you can use Brahmi paste topically to improve the health and appearance of the skin and hair. It is often used as a remedy for various skin conditions and is thought to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Some people also use Brahmi paste as a hair mask to stimulate hair growth and improve the overall health of the scalp. To prepare Brahmi paste, you can mix Brahmi powder with water or suitable carrier oil to create a thick, spreadable consistency. You can then apply the paste to the affected area or use it as a hair mask and leave it on for some time before washing it off.
- Brahmi Powder: Brahmi powder can be consumed orally to help support cognitive function and memory. It is also thought to have a calming effect on the brain and may help reduce anxiety and stress. Some people use Brahmi powder as a natural remedy for various health conditions, although more research is needed to understand its effects fully. To use Brahmi powder, you can mix it with water or another liquid and consume it orally. Some people add it to food or beverages to make it palatable. As with any supplement, it is necessary to consult a healthcare provider or an Ayurvedic practitioner to determine the appropriate dosage.
Precautions to Take with Brahmi:
Brahmi is generally considered safe when consumed in small amounts, but it is important to follow certain precautions to avoid potential complications.For breastfeeding and pregnancy: There is not enough data available to determine the safety of using Brahmi during pregnancy or breastfeeding. It is best to avoid taking Brahmi. You can consult a healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and consider using Brahmi.Sedative effects: Brahmi has sedative properties, which means it can cause drowsiness and may potentiate the effects of other sedative medications. If you are taking any medications that cause drowsiness, it is crucial to be cautious when using Brahmi and consult a healthcare provider.Children and elderly: Children and elderly individuals may be more sensitive to the effects of Brahmi and may be more prone to developing adverse reactions. Suppose you are giving Brahmi to a child or an elderly individual. In that case, monitoring their response closely and consulting with a healthcare provider if you have any concerns is important.Self-medication: Brahmi may interact with certain medications and negatively affect specific individuals. It is essential to consult with a healthcare provider before using Brahmi to self-medicate. They can help you determine dosage and usage based on your needs and medical history.
Interactions with Other Drugs:
Lab and animal studies have shown that the extract of Brahmi may interact with certain drugs and enhance their effects or counteract their harmful side effects.
- Brahmi has been shown to decrease the toxicity of morphine (a habit-forming medication used to relieve pain) and phenytoin (a medication used to prevent seizures) in animal studies. 
- In addition, the extract of Brahmi has been found to enhance the sedative effects of phenobarbital, a medication used to relieve anxiety and cause sleepiness. These findings suggest that Brahmi may have sedative effects and should be used with caution when combined with other sedative medications. 
- Brahmi may also interact with medications that affect the thyroid gland.
- High doses of Brahmi extract have been found to enhance thyroid hormone activity in animal models, which could potentially interact with thyroid hormones or thyroid-related medications in the body.
- Furthermore, Brahmi extract has been found to enhance the effects of chlorpromazine, a medication used to treat mental/mood disorders. 
- These findings highlight the importance of consulting with a healthcare provider or an Ayurvedic physician before taking Brahmi, as they will be able to consider your health condition and other medications you may be taking. It is essential to follow their prescription carefully to avoid potential interactions or other adverse effects.
Are there any side effects of taking brahmi?
While there are numerous benefits of this herb, have it in moderation. Excess dosage of its may result in the following side effects.
- Stomach cramps
- Dryness in the mouth
Consuming brahmi is not recommended during pregnancy because there are no findings indicating whether it is safe for expecting mothers. If you are under medication, talk to your doctor before taking brahmi. There are certain medicines that may react with this herb and cause adverse reactions in your body.
While you can have this herb in the form of pills or powder, you can also prepare tea with dry or fresh brahmi leaves. It will help you calm down and reduce your stress levels. Consult a doctor to know what is most suitable for you. You may choose from top naturopaths and ayurvedic specialists on Bajaj Finserv Health and address your queries via teleconsultation. As per the doctor’s suggestion, you can start taking brahmi for your physical and mental well-being.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app