Impressive Home Remedies for Fever: Effective for Both Children and Adults
Fever is among the most common diseases that people suffer from. It is a natural phenomenon when the human immune system tries to kill foreign viruses and bacteria. It is easy to cure fever through the home remedies discussed in this blog.
- Fever is a medical condition where body temperature increases higher than normal
- Small infectious agents or viruses are responsible for viral fever
- Viral fever can be spread through contact with contaminated air, water, and touch
Home remedies for fever work brilliantly and provide you with an effective result pretty quickly. On average, the body temperature for most persons is 98.6°F (37°C). Anything 1 degree or higher than this is regarded as having a fever.  During a viral fever, the human immune system deals with the viruses by raising the body's temperature to create unfavorable survival conditions for the virus.
Unlike bacterial infections, viral infections are hard to treat as antibiotics are ineffective. However, you can do various things to constrain the situation, such as resting. Aside from this, you can also try home remedies for the fever mentioned in this article.
How to Reduce Fever in Adults Naturally
If a high body temperature accompanied by some or all the symptoms are there, you should immediately seek medical attention. You can also try home remedies for fever in adults.
- Severe headache
- Unusual skin rash, especially if the condition worsens rapidly
- Pain when you bend your head forward and a stiff neck
- Unusual sensitivity to bright light
- Mental confusion
- Seizures or convulsions
- Chest pain, persistent vomiting, or difficulty in breathing
- Abdominal pain or pain while urinating
You must try to get good relief from the following home remedies for fever:
- Resting during fever is pivotal. Sleep as much as possible and avoid loud noises, as they can contribute to the headaches
- Drinking lots of fluids such as soups, ginger tea, and juices act as natural remedies for fever and helps the body regulate temperature
- Doctors often recommend having a bath with lukewarm water when you suffer from a fever. If you have enough tolerance, then you can also have a bath with room temperature water
- Using cloth strips soaked with salt water on the forehead and underarms also helps the body in regulating temperature
How to Reduce Fever in Infant Naturally
Fever in children and infants shows more or less the same symptoms. However, it would help if you were vigilant about the situation. Seek immediate medical attention if your child has the following:
- Less than three months old and reporting a rectal fever of at least 100.4 F (38 C)
- Aged between three and six months, with a rectal temperature reaching 102 degrees Fahrenheit (38.9 C). They could be unresponsive, uneasy, and agitated
- 102 F (38.9 C) or greater rectal temperature for more than a day in a child between the months of six and two years can be problematic. Depending on the severity of the infant's symptoms, such as cold, cough, and diarrhoea, the career may want to see a doctor
Home remedies for fever in children are also the same as in adults. Except you need to pay special care and attention to them.
For remedies, you can try the following things:
- Children and infants can get irritated and agitated when sick, but you must ensure that they rest properly. Keep their clothes light or something that will allow the body to breathe
- Give them small meals that have a watery consistency. You can opt for soups, broths, watery khichadi, or even simple dal Chawla
- Home remedies for viral fever include mixing a pinch of turmeric, cayenne pepper, and rock salt in 1 cup of warm water. Let the child consume this mixture twice daily until the fever subsides
- Give a sponge bath to your child. For better results, you can also use salt water instead of regular water
- In infants, fever is more common during the teething period. Giving children teething biscuits or anything that soothes their teething works as one of the home remedies for infant fever
Common Symptoms Of Fever
Viral fever should be treated as per the severity of symptoms. However, the symptoms of fever remain the same for everyone. The situation can be fatal for children if symptoms are not treated properly or in time.
The typical signs and symptoms of fever include:
- Muscle aches
- Chills and shivering
- Loss of appetite
- General weakness
- Running nose
- Sore throat
Immediately seek a doctor if a rash accompanies the fever. Likewise, if a person's body temperature rises above 103 F (39.4 C) and they start to exhibit symptoms like confusion, seizures, or hallucinations, they should get medical help immediately. By visiting a doctor, symptoms, including headaches, stomach aches, nausea, and vomiting, can be treated right away.
Things You Can Do to Mitigate FeverAside from resting and cold compress, you can do the following things as a fever treatment at home
Use a humidifier:
Humidifier aids in treating flu-like symptoms that come with a fever. It increases the room's moisture and soothes the throat and sinuses. This calms the body and aids you in getting better rest. To further enhance the benefits of the humidifier, you can infuse essential oils such as lavender and rosemary oils.
Use of ice:
Although most people are reluctant to use ice for viral fever treatment at home, it benefits you a lot.  Sucking on ice or having a cold water bath can help the body regulate the temperature. You can also use it as a cold compress on the forehead and neck. It also helps in curing dehydration. The use of ice should be limited as it can further aggravate the symptoms of a cold.
Rest and lightweight clothing:
Rest is among the most important home remedies for fever for babies and adults. To ensure proper rest, wear light and comfortable clothing. Sleeping in dark and noise-free rooms will benefit the most if you have migraines. In addition, sleeping on your back stretched out aids in reducing body aches and maintains blood circulation in the body.Additional Read: Rosemary oil benefits
Herbal Home Remedies for FeverThere are multiple food products that you can consume as natural ways to reduce fever. The following are regarded as one of the most useful home remedies for fever:
- Ginger tea is a staple of Indian households. Drinking ginger tea when you have a fever accompanied by a cold or sore throat will help you soothe soreness and will also boost immunity
- Honey is another pantry staple that acts as one of the most reliable home remedies for infant fever. You can mix honey in warm water and give it to children to drink. Eating it also helps. Traditionally, honey is used in preparing Kasha's or broths to cure a cold. A mixture of honey and turmeric is an excellent home remedy for cold and flu
- Hari Taki is celebrated in Ayurveda for its exceptional medicinal properties. It works as one of the best home remedies for fever. Mix a spoonful of Hari Taki powder in warm water or infuse it with tea and drink twice daily. This will help not only with fever but also with cold and cough
- Talsi leaves are regarded as one of the best natural home remedies for fever and cough, and that has been used by mothers and grandmothers to treat fever in infants. Boil a few Talsi leaves until leaves become soft or dissolve, then drink the water. If you are an adult or child above the age of five, you can also chew Tulsi leaves
- Make a paste of neem leaves, black gram dal, and mango powder. Apply this paste on the forehead and neck of the child three times a day
- Add two cups of water to a glass jar with half a lemon squeezed into it. Cover it with muslin cloth and place it in a shady place to infuse overnight. This is one of the most excellent home remedies for fever in children as well as adults
- Take two teaspoons of curd along with one teaspoon of honey in equal quantities every two hours, along with honey water or plain water every two hours, to relieve fever-related symptoms such as chills, shivering, sweating, etc.
Fever is a typical sign of inflammation and illness. Most of the time, a person can treat reduce a fever at home and does not require medical attention. However, if you think the fever is increasing, you can try some home remedies for fever. But if that doesn't work, make sure you get a doctor consultation, or you can schedule an online appointment with an ayurvedic doctor at Bajaj Finserv Health. Arranging an online appointment for a consultation is extremely easy and simple.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.