Does insurance cover brain surgery? It does, but there are different aspects to the coverage of brain surgery in health insurance. Find out about them and ensure that you get the best policy.
Does insurance cover brain surgery? This is an important question that you need to ask your insurance provider. Your brain is the organ that controls your senses, intelligence, memories, behavior, and body movement. In short, your brain has its link to every other organ and system of your body. For its delicate and complex functions, the brain is also vulnerable to injuries and anomalies, which can be fatal if left untreated. Brain surgery is one of the many treatment options for a brain condition. But it also requires extra caution from the surgeons. Additionally, it is usually very costly.
During these times, having health insurance is the simplest way to protect yourself and your finances. But simply having an insurance cover is not enough. You need the right insurance cover, for which you need to ask specific questions. Among these is the pertinent question, "Does insurance cover brain surgery?". This is because not all health policies may offer coverage as there are different aspects of brain surgery. By understanding these, you can know the various situations in which you may require brain surgery and in which cases insurance cover brain surgery. Read on to learn more.
Situations where doctors may advise brain surgery
Before looking into the coverage of brain surgery in health insurance, it is essential to know the situations in which doctors may recommend you. Take a look at the circumstances where brain surgery may be advised:
Does insurance cover brain surgery for all these? Yes, it does. However, the overall expenses depend on the type of brain surgery required.
Additional Read: World Brain Tumor Day: History & Significance
- If you are suffering from an aneurysm
- If you have brain tumors
- If you have fluids accumulated inside your brain
- If there has been bleeding inside your brain
- If you have suffered from a skull fracture
- If clots have formed inside your brain
- If you have Parkinson's disease
- If your brain has developed abscesses
- If you have epilepsy
- If you have an abnormality in the blood vessels of your brain
- If the dura tissue in your brain has suffered certain damages
- If your blood pressure has increased post-brain injury
Different types of brain surgery
Once doctors identify the condition you are suffering from, they may recommend specific types of surgeries to cure the complication or reduce the risk. Here's a look at the usual types of brain surgery.
- Deep brain stimulation: Here, the neurosurgeon puts a tiny electrode into the brain through a small incision in the skull. The electrode stimulates the brain with the help of electric signals.
- Biopsy: The surgeon collects tissue or brain cells through incisions made in the skull. The collected sample is then tested at a lab.
- Neuroendoscopy: In this, a small incision in your skull is made to reach the affected part and remove tumors through the passage
- Posterior fossa decompression: Here, the neurosurgeon removes a small part of the skull bone, located at the back side of your head, through a small incision. It allows additional space for the cerebellum to change its position and thus releases the pressure on the spinal cord.
- Endonasal endoscopic surgery: In this procedure, no incision is required. The neurosurgeon inserts an endoscope through the passage in your nose and sinus to remove tumors.
- Craniotomy: This is another surgical procedure to treat brain tumors. Here, part of the skull is surgically removed.
The usual cost of brain surgery
Besides asking the question, "Does health insurance cover brain surgery?" it is essential to know the cost of such procedures. Health insurance may not cover the entire amount, and knowing how much it costs can help you plan your finances accordingly. As the brain is among the most complex organs of the human body, its surgery is also costly . In India, the costs of brain surgery usually vary between Rs.2 lakh and Rs.10 lakh, while the exact amount depends on how severe your condition is. The price can also vary based on location and medical facilities.
Besides the surgery, there are several added expenses as well. These include costs for initial tests and scans, as well as post-hospitalization care. You need to consider all these costs as they may make your overall expenses much higher. This is why you need to check the additional coverage of your insurance.
Does insurance cover brain surgery?
In most cases, it does. Generally, coverage for brain surgery in health insurance is available across major Indian insurance providers. Despite this, it is essential to ask, 'Does insurance cover brain surgery?' the insurer without fail. There may be clauses that restrict coverage, and you should know about these. That is the only way to confirm whether your health insurance will offer aid in your time of need. Here are some of the coverages that come along with the brain surgery cover:
Additional Read: 18 Aarogya Care Benefits that Enhance Your Health Insurance
Now that you know the answer to the question, 'Does health insurance cover brain surgery?', confirm before you buy a policy. However, if you want comprehensive coverage beyond brain surgery, you can opt for an Aarogya Care Insurance Plan available on the Bajaj Finserv Health platform. For the best options, you can go for any of the Health Protect Plans and enjoy insurance cover that goes up to Rs.10 lakh for two adults and four children under the age of 21.
You can enjoy network discounts, preventive health check-ups, in-patient hospitalization cover, road ambulance charges, ICU expenses, and more. Moreover, you can get the Bajaj Finserv Health Card and pay for your healthcare expenses against easy EMIs. Considering all these, get yourself covered right away in simple steps!
- Road ambulance charges
- Pre- and post-hospitalization expenses
- Cover for in-patient hospitalization
- ICU expenses