How to Stop Grey Hair: 15 Home Remedies for Gray Hair
How to stop grey hair? Try applying onion juice or having ashwagandha. Prevent grey hair by having food rich in catalyse too. Read on to know more about how to stop grey hair naturally.
- Wondering about how to stop grey hair is common for those in their mid-30s
- There are plenty of natural remedies to prevent grey hair without any risk
- Eating right is the easier answer to the question, how to stop grey hair naturally
As we grow old, we develop certain signs of aging, and grey hair is one of them. They may start appearing once you cross the age of 35. For some people, it may even come earlier. Remember, each hair has a certain cycle when it appears, grows, and dies, making room for another hair in the same follicle. With age, the follicles start producing grey and white hair. Know how to stop grey hair.
Here is a look at the usual causes of hair turning grey:
- Genetics 
- Deficiency of vitamins
- Use of cosmetic hair products and hair dyes
- Too many free radicals lead to an increase in oxidative stress
- Addiction to tobacco, especially smoking
- Certain health conditions
- Excessive stress 
Though some people consider it a sign of experience and maturity, others don’t like to keep their hair looking grey, as they consider it makes them look older or reduces their youthful charms. Wondering how to stop grey hair with easy solutions? Read on to know about the best home remedies to prevent grey hair naturally and more.
Additional Read: Home Remedies for Hair Fall During Monsoon
How to stop grey hair naturally: 15 home remedies
- Consume ginger with honey: Mix a tablespoon of each together to make the perfect blend.
- Apply onion juice to your scalp: Prepare the juice by blending an onion. Then rinse your hair twice a week with this juice before applying shampoo.
- Add black sesame seeds to your diet: Doing this twice or three times a week may help stop the greying process. It may reverse the process too.
- Apply coconut oil to your hair and scalp: Do this after dinner and before going to sleep. Wash your hair the next morning.
- Consume fo-ti, a Chinese herb used as a supplement: You can take 2,000 milligrams per day overall. It is known to reverse the process of aging in your hair.
- Apply a mixture of curry leaves and yogurt to your hair: Make sure to wash off after half an hour. Do this process three to four times a week.
- Add foods rich in enzyme catalyzing to your diet: Common examples of such foods are almonds, kale, cabbage, broccoli, sweet potato, and garlic.
- Consume a supplement of ashwagandha with other foods: The herb is also referred to as Indian ginseng.
- Apply ghee to your scalp and hair, and massage gently: Do this twice a week.
- Consume wheatgrass: It is beneficial in both juice and powder forms.
- Apply fresh amaranth juice to your hair: Do this every 2-3 days.
- Prepare a hair oil by mixing dry rosemary with extra virgin olive oil: Do it by filling in 1/3rd of a jar that can contain 1 cup of liquid with dried rosemary.
- Drink carrot juice: Make sure to consume about 220g every day.
- Apply a mixture of lemon juice, almond oil, and amla juice to your scalp and hair: Do this twice a day for 90 days.
- Consume amla juice and massage your hair with amla oil: Do this once a week.
Other lifestyle changes you can opt for to prevent grey hair
Wondering how to prevent grey hair if the above home remedies alone do not help? You can try the following.
- Consume sufficient vitamins like vitamins A, E, D, and B
- Ensure intake of minerals such as magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, and selenium
- Wear a hat or cover your hair with a scarf before going out in the scorching heat of the sun
- Stay away from active and passive smoking to prevent extra decay of hair follicles
- Avoid the following hair care procedures that can further damage your hair:
- Applying soaps or shampoos that are too harsh
- Bleaching your hair
- Frequent washing of hair
- Using a hair drier or curling iron that generates too much heat
- Combing hair with a dense brush instead of using a comb that has wide teeth
A few techniques to avoid
- Make sure not to pluck a grey hair
- Do not use any random cosmetic dyes available on the market
- Also, avoid harsh hair products like certain shampoos or hair cleansers as they may further damage your hair
By knowing about all these home remedies and lifestyle modifications to prevent grey hair, you can enjoy your natural hair color for longer. Take extra care with tips such as purchasing sunscreen for hair, preventing hair fall during monsoon by covering your head when stepping out in the rain, and reducing the occurrence of dry and frizzy hair by using coconut or argan oil.
For the best advice, book an online appointment with a dermatologist or trichologist on Bajaj Finserv Health, and follow their guidelines to give your hair the best treatment. This platform and app help you find medical specialists near you or far away and consult them with ease via video, so you can address all your concerns on time. Try it today and give your hair some TLC!
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.
Download the Bajaj Health App
Stay Up-to-date with Health Trends. Read latest blogs on health and wellness. Know More!
Get the link to download the app