Try these 6 poses of yoga to increase height!
Dr. Neelam Patel, Ayurveda
January 21, 2021
Your height is typically a product of your genetic history. It is believed that height, like hair or eye colour, is outside your realm of control, and depends entirely on your ancestry, the genes that were passed onto you, and potentially the diet you were fed at an early age. It is assumed that most people stop growing at the age of 18 or sooner. While this is true for most part, studies have now revealed that the hormone responsible for growth, HGH, is secreted until you’re about 24 years old.
This fact suggests that those who are able to activate their pituitary gland to enhance the secretion of HGH in their bodies might be able to increase their height even after puberty. In this vein, yoga could prove to be a great way to boost your height, since it is one of the few exercise forms that engages your endocrine system as well.
In addition to boosting the secretion of HGH, you can also increase your height simply by improving your posture. Many yoga exercises offer a low-impact way to lengthen your spine and strengthen your back and leg muscles, which you may find adds a good 2-3 inches to your height if done correctly.
Whether you’re looking to start practicing yoga for height increase after 18 years of age or are a regular yoga practitioner looking for a specific yoga exercise for height increase, there are a number of asanas that may be of use to you. You could also use some specific forms of yoga for height increase after 30 years of age.
Here is a list of asanas we’ve compiled so that you can start your journey with yoga to maximize your height, no matter what age.
Also known as mountain pose, this asana elongates all your muscle groups. For this reason, the posture effectively engages the growth hormone, and is a great, accessible form of yoga for growth of height.
- Stand straight on the floor, with your palms by your side, flat against your thighs
- Inhale and slowly raise your arms upward, keeping them parallel at all times
- Lift your heels and stand on your toes, stretching as far as you can go
- Release the posture as you exhale
Repeat up to 10 times.
Commonly known as the tree pose, vriksh asana is one of the best postures in yoga to increase height. Not only does it strengthen your thigh muscles, but also activates your pituitary gland—thereby triggering secretion of the growth hormone.
- Stand with your feet together and hands by your side
- Lift your right leg and bring your right foot to rest on the inside of your left thigh
- While balancing on your left foot, raise your arms and bring your palms together above your head
- Breathe normally and hold this posture for as long as you can without wavering
- Release gently and repeat for the other side.
This pose, which is a combination of sarvang asana or the shoulder stand, and a head stand, inverts your body against gravity. This action activates your pituitary gland and triggers the secretion of HGH.
- Lie flat on your back with your palms facing downward
- Slowly lift your legs and hips, and lower back, supporting your back with your hands
- Shift your weight gently onto your shoulders and upper arms while lengthening your legs
- Stay in this posture for up to 30 seconds but release it if you feel any strain.
Commonly known as camel pose, this is a great form of yoga to increase height because it activates the pituitary gland while also lengthening your spine and improving posture.
- Sit in vajrasana i.e., with your knees folded together and your hips on your heels
- Raise yourself up onto your knees as you inhale, and pull your tailbone in to activate your spine
- Slide your palms over your feet, keeping your back arched and arms straight
- Breathe normally as you hold this pose, before gently releasing
This is the seated forward bend, a pose that strengthens your back and thigh muscles while activating the pituitary gland. You can perform this form of yoga on its own or as a post-workout stretch.
- Sit with your legs extended in front of you
- Exhale, bend forward and hold your toes in your hands
- Keep your back and legs straight as you try to touch your head to your knees
- Hold this pose for up to 1 minute.
Known as the victorious breath, this asana is not only a great form of yoga to increase height, but also an exercise to boost your overall physical health. The asana aligns your breathing and your metabolism to improve the ecosystem of your body. It is a great way to
end your workout, or even simply to center yourself in the middle of a busy working day, since it can be practiced anywhere.
- You can sit or stand while practicing this asana
- Keep your mouth shut and breathe in deeply through your nose
- Exhale slowly and deeply, before taking another deep breath in
Practice this for as long as you wish. You will find that this exercise not only improves your physical health, but also helps soothe stress, anxiety and depression.
Many of these exercises have minimal to no negative impact on your system and can be performed at any age or skill level. However, do consult your physician before practicing any form of yoga for height increase, especially if you suffer from pre-existing conditions such as sciatica, slip disk or arthritis.
Complement these exercises with other yoga asanas for more sustainable, long-term results. Consult a trained yoga instructor to find out which poses are right for you and seek supervision when you first attempt to practice them. While yoga is known to be one of the least invasive forms of physical exercise, some asanas may exacerbate certain health conditions, or cause problems if done incorrectly. The best to proceed would be to consult with a general physician first to understand what poses to stay away from and then work with a trained yoga teacher.