10 Simple and Effective Yoga Asanas to Increase Height
- Vriksh asana is one of the best postures in yoga to increase height.
- Camel pose is a great form of yoga to increase height because it activates the pituitary gland.
- Tadasana also known as mountain pose and accessible form of yoga for growth of height.
Your height is typically a product of your genetic history. It is believed that height, like hair or eye colour, is outside your realm of control, and depends entirely on your ancestry, the genes that were passed onto you, and potentially the diet you were fed at an early age. It is assumed that most people stop growing at the age of 18 or sooner. While this is true for most part, studies have now revealed that the hormone responsible for growth, HGH, is secreted until you’re about 24 years old.
This fact suggests that those who can activate their pituitary gland to enhance the secretion of HGH in their bodies might be able to increase their height even after puberty. In this vein, yoga to increase height could be a great way since it is one of the few exercise forms that engage your endocrine system as well.
In addition to boosting the secretion of HGH, you can increase your height simply by improving your posture. Many morning yoga exercises offer a low-impact way to lengthen your spine and strengthen your back and leg muscles, which you may find adds a good 2-3 inches to your height if done correctly.
Whether you’re looking to start practicing yoga for height increase after 18 years of age or are a regular yoga practitioner looking for a specific yoga to increase height, there are a number of asanas that may be of use to you. You could also use some particular forms of yoga for height increase after 30 years of age.
Here is a list of asanas we’ve compiled so that you can start your journey with yoga to increase height, no matter what age.
Commonly known as camel pose, this is an excellent form of yoga to increase height because it activates the pituitary gland while also lengthening your spine and improving posture.
Steps To Do Ustra Asana:
- Sit in vajrasana i.e., with your knees folded together and your hips on your heels
- Raise yourself up onto your knees as you inhale, and pull your tailbone in to activate your spine
- Slide your palms over your feet, keeping your back arched and arms straight
- Breathe normally as you hold this pose, before gently releasing
Apart from being one of the poses of yoga to increase height, this pose also benefits your overall well-being. Some of the common benefits of this height increase yoga pose are:
- It helps reduce fat from your thighs
- Improves the strength of your upper body
- It makes your spinal cord flexible
- Relieves back pain and tension in your ovaries
- It opens up your hips and hip flexors
This is the seated forward bend, a pose that strengthens your back and thigh muscles while activating the pituitary gland. You can perform this form of yoga on its own or as a post-workout stretch.
Steps To Do Paschimotan Asana:
- Sit with your legs extended in front of you
- Exhale, bend forward and hold your toes in your hands
- Keep your back and legs straight as you try to touch your head to your knees
- Hold this pose for up to 1 minute.
The health benefits of Paschimottan asana aren’t limited to it being one of the poses of yoga for increasing height. This height increases yoga pose and also helps calm your mind and improve your sleep. Other benefits of this pose of yoga to increase height include:
- It helps reduce your belly fat
- Improves your posture
- Relieves menstrual pain
- Improves digestion
- Stretches your thigh muscles and spine
This pose combines the shoulder stand and the headstand and is an inversion. This action of going against gravity stimulates your pituitary gland and helps in the secretion of HGH.
Steps To Do Shirshasana:
- Lie flat on your back with your palms facing downward
- Slowly lift your legs and hips, and lower back, supporting your back with your hands
- Shift your weight gently onto your shoulders and upper arms while lengthening your legs
- Stay in this posture for up to 30 seconds but release it if you feel any strain
When it comes to yoga poses to increase height, the health benefits range from relieving stress to improving your strength. Given below is a list of common benefits of Shirshasana:
- Enhances focus and blood circulation
- Strengthens your core and arms
- Flushes the fluid buildup in your legs
- Improves your scalp and hair health
- Removes toxins by stimulating your lymph system
Also known as mountain pose, this asana elongates all your muscle groups. For this reason, the posture effectively engages the growth hormone and is a great, accessible form of yoga for the growth of height.
Steps To Do Tadasana:
- Stand straight on the floor, with your palms by your side, flat against your thighs
- Inhale and slowly raise your arms upward, keeping them parallel at all times
- Lift your heels and stand on your toes, stretching as far as you can go
- Release the posture as you exhale
Repeat up to 10 times.
Practicing Tadasana benefits your overall physical and mental health in many ways. Apart from being a pose of yoga for increasing height, it supports your health in these ways:
- Improves your strength and posture
- Increases your focus and attention
- Relieves pain from sciatica
- It helps manage your weight
- Improves mental well-being by reducing stress
- Releases facial tension
- Enhances your lower body muscles
Known as the victorious breath, this asana is not only a great form of yoga to increase height, but also an exercise to boost your overall physical health. The asana aligns your breathing and your metabolism to improve the ecosystem of your body. It is a great way to end your workout, or even simply to center yourself in the middle of a busy working day, since it can be practiced anywhere.
Steps To Do Ujjayi Pranayama:
- You can sit or stand while practicing this asana
- Keep your mouth shut and breathe in deeply through your nose
- Exhale slowly and deeply, before taking another deep breath in
Practice this for as long as you wish. You will find that this exercise not only improves your physical health, but also helps soothe stress, anxiety and depression.
Primarily a breathing exercise, this pose of yoga to increase height helps in improving your overall well-being too. Apart from calming your mind and reducing stress, the benefits of Ujjayi Pranayama include:
- Encouraging healthy eating
- Improving your attention and focus
- Building your tolerance and strength
- Increasing your lung capacity
- Balancing your energy centers
- Detoxifying your body
Commonly known as the tree pose, vriksh asana is one of the best postures in yoga to increase height. Not only does it strengthen your thigh muscles, but also activates your pituitary gland—thereby triggering secretion of the growth hormone.
Steps To Do Vriksh Asana:
- Stand with your feet together and hands by your side
- Lift your right leg and bring your right foot to rest on the inside of your left thigh
- While balancing on your left foot, raise your arms and bring your palms together above your head
- Breathe normally and hold this posture for as long as you can without wavering
- Release gently and repeat for the other side.
This yoga for increasing height benefits your body from head to toe. From supporting your focus to improving your lower body strength, the benefits of vriksh asana include:
- Improving coordination between your muscles and nerves (muscle memory)
- Supporting your balance and building strength
- Relieving pain caused by sciatica
- Loosening your hip
- Strengthening your leg muscles
If you are wondering which asana works for increasing height, try this one! Also known as the Cobra pose, this pose of yoga for increasing height is common and quite easy to do. While it improves your overall health, its height benefits come from its ability to help improve your flexibility. Given the simplicity of this pose of yoga to increase height, you can practice it even as a beginner.
Steps To Do Bhujangasana:
- Begin by lying down on your stomach
- Put your hands next to your chest, parallel to your shoulders
- Gently lift your upper body towards the sky (Here, the pose will look like a snake)
- Try and stretch as much as you can and hold the pose for a minute
- Slowly bring your torso back to the floor
Repeat this pose a few times.
Apart from helping you become taller, the benefits of this yoga pose include:
- Strengthens and tones your upper body
- Reduces fat around your waist and stomach
- Relieves fatigue, stress, and pain
- Improves digestion by stimulating abdominal organs
- Regulates menstrual cycle
- Improves flexibility and blood circulation
Like bhujangasana, this is also an easy and beginner-friendly pose of yoga to increase height. This pose of yoga for increasing height works because it helps stretch your leg muscles, spine, and arm muscles.
Steps To Do Hastapadasana:
- Begin in Tadasana
- Inhale and stretch your arms above your head
- Exhale slowly and bend forward to touch your feet or the floor beside your feet
- If unable to touch your feet, bend forward as much as you can
With regular practice, you will be able to perform Hastapadasna to the fullest of your ability and touch your feet. Practice this yoga consistently to see improved and long-lasting results.
When it comes to practicing yoga for increasing height or for any other reason, remember that the benefits of poses go much beyond just one. The other benefits of Hastapadasna include:
- Improving blood circulation
- Reducing fat from the waist
- Improving your body posture
- Stretching your overall body muscles
- Improving digestion
- Stimulating your nervous system
- Relieving stress
This pose of yoga to increase height is standard and easy, making it possible for anyone to do. This pose helps in increasing your height because it targets your spine and improves its flexibility. This yoga pose for increasing size is also often known as the Cat Stretch Pose.
Steps To Do Marjariasana:
- Begin by getting on your palms and knees like a cat
- Keep your spine straight and parallel to the floor
- Take a deep breath and push your stomach towards the floor
- Raise your chin and look up; your head should be titling towards your spine
- Exhale and pull your stomach in, with your spine curving upwards towards the ceiling
- Look at your nose and try to ensure that your chin touches your chest
- Repeat the pose as long as you are comfortable
At the end of the pose, your spine should feel stretched and relaxed. Consistently perform this pose of yoga to increase height and see better results.
The increased height is just one of the many benefits that you can get when you regularly practice this pose. Some of these include:
- Strengthens your backbone, wrists, and shoulders
- Relieves your mind from anxiety and stress
- Improves digestion by stimulating your digestive organs
- Improves blood flow and oxygen in your body
- Relieves pain from menstruation
- Reduces belly and hip fat, and tones your abdomen
If you are still wondering which asana works for increasing height, try sun salutations. This popular series of yoga poses helps loosen your muscles and joints, which can help make you taller. You can divide this pose into 12 different postures that can increase your height.
Steps To Do Surya Namaskar:
- Begin in Pranamasana
- Move into Hastauttanasana
- Bend into Hastapadasana
- Move into Ashwasanchalanasana
- Get into Dandasana
- Move into Ashtanga Namaskara
- Stretch into Bhujangasana
- Bend into Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Move into Ashwasanchalanasana
- Go back to Hastapadasana
- Bend into Hastauttanasana
- Move into Tadasana
These complete steps are half of the yoga pose. To complete the pose, follow the above steps but instead of pushing back the right leg first, push the left one while doing Ashwasanchalanasana.
Apart from being a common pose of yoga for increasing height, Surya Namaskar also benefits your body in these ways:
- Improves blood circulation throughout your body
- Helps you sleep better
- Improves digestion and detoxifies your body
- Reduces anxiety and improves mental well-being
- Strengthens your muscles and joints
ConclusionWhen it comes to height increases, yoga can help! Many of these exercises have minimal to no negative impact on your system and can be performed at any age or skill level. However, do consult your physician before practicing any form of yoga to increase height, especially if you suffer from pre-existing conditions such as sciatica, slipped disk, or arthritis.
Complement these exercises with other yoga asanas for more sustainable, long-term results. Consult a trained yoga instructor to find out which poses are right for you and seek supervision when you first attempt to practice them. While yoga is known to be one of the least invasive forms of physical exercise, some asanas may exacerbate certain health conditions or cause problems if done incorrectly. The best to proceed would be to consult with a general physician first to understand what poses to stay away from and then work with a trained yoga teacher.
Please note that this article is solely meant for informational purposes and Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (“BFHL”) does not shoulder any responsibility of the views/advice/information expressed/given by the writer/reviewer/originator. This article should not be considered as a substitute for any medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with your trusted physician/qualified healthcare professional to evaluate your medical condition. The above article has been reviewed by a qualified doctor and BFHL is not responsible for any damages for any information or services provided by any third party.